Our recipe for selling your home! Check out our Facebook page and your snail mail to see our staging tips and favourite recipes. From our family to yours!
First impressions are important! Your entrance and walkway should be clean and tidy. It will give buyers an instant impression that your home is well-maintained.
Treat #1: One-Pan Chocolate Cake
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- Confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
- Heat oven to 350° F and grease & flour 8″ pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, cocoa, & salt and sift into pan.
- Make 3 small holes in mixture; pour vinegar in one, vanilla in other, and oil in last.
- Add water and mix with fork until smooth.
- Bake 30 minutes, cool, and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Here are the Five Things to NEVER Do When Selling:
- Never use heavily-scented products in your home. This includes candles, Scentsy burners,
and perfumes. Potential buyers may have allergies or suspect you are hiding something.
INSTEAD: Consider baking before a showing. People loves the smell of freshly baked
pastries or homemade bread!
- Never leave dogs loose during a showing. They could make a mess or startle buyers. You
love your pets, but many people are afraid of animals they do not know. This can give
buyers a bad impression even if they love the home. INSTEAD: Consider crating pets or
taking them with you for showings.
- Never cook pungent foods the day of or the day before a scheduled showing. Curries and
fish make great meals, but they leave a strong odour that can be unappealing to buyers.
INSTEAD: Consider baking before a showing as suggested above.
- Never leave garbage in the house the day of a showing. Odours that we do not notice in
our own homes can be very prominent to buyers. Old food, other discarded items, and
even the trashcan itself can be a major culprit. INSTEAD: Consider taking out the trash
the day of a showing and leaving garbage cans in the garage or outside.
- Never turn down a showing! It is certainly ideal to have your home perfect for a showing,
but life happens – don’t let that stop the right buyer from potentially falling in love with
your property. INSTEAD: Aim to keep your home generally prepared so that you don’t
need as much preparation time when showing requests are received.
Treat #2: Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional: icing for drizzle
- Cream butter, beat in sugar, then beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla.
- Stir/sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Gradually blend into creamed mixture.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and plastic, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Roll dough and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 375° F for 6-8 minutes.