214 Route 101, New Maryland $699,900
Talk about WOW factor! This gorgeous and enormous home exudes elegance and history. Extensively renovated, this bungalow is functional and beautiful while maintaining some of the historic charm from the original structure built in 1947. First, enter the immense foyer with porcelain floors. Next is the over-sized living room with a huge fireplace (propane insert) and large windows. From there, find a convenient breakfast room and the phenomenal kitchen. Boasting stunning cabinetry and granite countertops, with a huge center island, separate butler’s pantry, plus an extra oven and upright freezer, this is truly a dream kitchen! A side-entry mudroom and an elegant dining room with double French glass doors complete the left wing. Through the large living room, find entry to the office and the huge master bedroom. Boasting a walk-in closet and a gorgeous ensuite bath with a soaker tub and glass-door shower, the master bedroom is yet another reason to fall in love with this home. Down the hall, find two large bedrooms and a truly charming full bathroom with a unique stone wall preserved from the original structure. A fourth bedroom, a laundry room with storage and utility sink complete the right wing of the home. Further features include ample storage space and closets, a heat pump head in each bedroom, screened sunporch off the breakfast room, and a double car garage with two workspace areas.
1945 brought the world exciting times. With the end of WW II, soldiers returned home to New Brunswick re-joining civilian life and enjoying many new modern conveniences such as electricity (established in N.B. in 1920) and radio which had been broadcasting across Atlantic Canada from downtown Fredericton since 1923 under the call letters Canada-Fredericton-New-Brunswick (CFNB).
In 1947, big changes were underfoot for CFNB. Jack Fenety (a Fredericton legend to anyone born here in the 50’s) was hired to become the new on-air “talent” as CFNB announcer. September 22, 1947 brought the first episode of “Fact and Fancy” hosted by the very popular Mr. Fenety. Soon wives and home makers all over Atlantic Canada tuned in every day to hear birthday announcements, recipes and household hints, poems and a morning prayer all delivered by Mr. Fenety.
It was about that time (1947) that an unassuming stone building was constructed in New Maryland, New Brunswick to house the CFNB broadcast center.
The New Maryland location was selected for the radio station because it was “way out in the country” and the rural location would cause less concern for citizens in comparison to the reaction being expressed by “townies” in response to having the station located closer to Fredericton.
Folks were still apprehensive about electricity and radio waves, worrying that direct exposure to such would cause an adverse reaction to one’s health and safety. (People were even warned not to stand underneath light bulbs in those days in case they exploded – and occasionally they did)!
By 1959 CFNB had grown to and incredible 50,000 watts serving all corners of Atlantic Canada. Management found that the once remote broadcast location in New Maryland was no longer so remote. The community of New Maryland began to develop and grow up around broadcast house. While certainly not “in the city”, CFNB’s broadcast location was no longer suitable.
By the early 1960’s CFNB made the decision to move transmission activities from the New Maryland location and they established a new building and two 303 foot towers along Highway 3 in Smithfield, NB.
In 1963, the stone building that previously housed the CFNB radio station from 1947 to 1963 was sold to Mr. Charlie Forbes and his wife (Birdie) for under $20,000.00. Mrs. Forbes immediately went to work with architect Bill Lake to redesign the building and repurpose it as the Forbes family home.
During the 1964 renovation, the original structure was expanded adding significant square footage to the footprint of the building. The style of the house has been described as “French Eclectic” with Chateauesque and Georgian influences. It can also be considered that the structure draws from the “English Croft” style as well, evidenced by the exposed beams and stone on the interior of the building (although it, thankfully, lacks the typical thatched roof of a true English Croft).
During the 1964 renovation, Mrs. Forbes secured three lovely old chandeliers from a renovation project her husband, Charlie Forbes, was undertaking at the Baker Castle in Saint John, NB. (Baker Castle was known as “Castle of Disenchantment” due to the broken dreams of its first occupant, Mrs. Gladys Baker. As a new bride Mrs. Baker selected the chandeliers for her new home in 1911). Mrs. Forbes removed the 3 chandeliers from “The Castle of Disenchantment” and re-hung them in the living room of the Stone House where they have stayed for more than 50 years.
The Stone House stayed in the Forbes family until 2005 when it was sold to the Village of New Maryland. At that time, the building was re-purposed to accommodate occasional use by the community until the condition of the building deteriorated the point that a substantial investment was required to bring it to safe standards for use. It was finally rendered unfit and unsafe.
Over the years, even in its deteriorated condition, the Stone House was admired by many and coveted by some. Finally, in 2012 the Village of New Maryland made the decision to pursue expressions of interest for rehabilitating the old house.
The current owners threw caution to the wind, submitted their dream to the Village explaining what they could do to make the Stone House their home and preserve its rightful place as a landmark and icon in the Village
Happily, Village Council of the day saw the vision and supported the dream selling the derelict building in September of 2012.
A nine month restoration was undertaken to rehabilitate the building and, today, the Stone House has been renovated from stem to stern including modern conveniences incorporating up-to-the-minute technologies like built-in sound speakers on which Radio can be enjoyed to from most rooms throughout the house.
The three old chandeliers from “The Castle of Disenchantment” (now over 100 years old) continue to occupy space in the Old Stone House but were relocated from their original place in the living room to preside over the dining room, the turret and, of course, the grandest of the 3 remains in the living room .
Reconstruction began in September of 2012 and concluded in May of 2013.
A grand old lady now, the “Old Stone House” in New Maryland, New Brunswick is, once again, a private residence content to quietly occupy space in the Village as it has since 1947.
Address: 214 Route 101
City: New Maryland
Province: New Brunswick
Postal Code: E3C 1E2
Taxes: $5786 (2017)
Heating: Propane, Baseboard, Heat Pump
Lot Size: 6405 SQ.M.
Building Dimensions: 4000 SQ.FT.
Building Age: 70
MAIN FLOOR DINING ROOM 17'3X12'3
MAIN FLOOR LIVING ROOM 26'5X23'7
MAIN FLOOR MASTER BEDROOM 21'5X12'11
MAIN FLOOR ENSUITE BATHROOM 15'3X9'5
MAIN FLOOR BEDROOM 13'6X9'5
MAIN FLOOR BEDROOM 12'10X9'8
MAIN FLOOR BEDROOM 12'10X8'7
MAIN FLOOR BATHROOM 6'5X4
MAIN FLOOR LAUNDRY 7'3X4'6
MAIN FLOOR DINING NOOK 12'10X9'10
MAIN FLOOR PANTRY 10'4X7'2
MAIN FLOOR FOYER 14'8X11'10
MAIN FLOOR MUDROOM 13'10X4